Sunday, March 25, 2007

My Dad's Mexico pictures B

Here is the line of men passing the buckets of concrete. When they are empty they are thrown down to the empty bucket line. You can see me in the brown shirt on the bottom right of the picture. I was catching them from off the roof but the men didn't like throwing them to me so they sent someone down to catch them and then pass them to me instead.
Here is an oven...they were cooking sacowil (sock-ah-wheel). It is pork meat in kind of a corn hash stuff wrapped in banana leaves. After the food is inside they pack the entrance with mud to keep the heat in. Around 10pm they were having a pretty difficult time getting it out. Meals are generally eaten late in Mexico but this night especially so as the roof work went on until 11:30 or midnight, and dinner was eaten afterward. We were told they don't often start church services until 10 pm at this mission church...can you imagine?
The girls and women were very proficient at carrying water like this. They were bringing more water up from the spring for the concrete.
Here is Jack Bradshaw, our pastor's father-in-law who was my dad's traveling companion for the week. He is 77 or 78 years old!
This is my dad's host, Raquel. He stays with her family everytime he goes to Tamazunchale.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Very nice pictures of Mexico! That's a good picute of Uncle Lew too! That outdoor oven reminds me of our neighbors in Humaita. They had a bread store on the side of their home. I remember my friend, Rosaria taking me to the back to see where they made the bread and they had an oven very similar to that. I'm sure they all really appreciated all your help there!