Friday, March 07, 2008

Homemade laundry Soap

I made my own laundry soap this week. Here is a peek at it. So far, I think it works pretty well and is so much cheaper than Cheer etc.
If you want to try it out the recipe is below...
Home Made Laundry Detergent Recipe #70088
Make your own laundry detergent! This is really easy and really does save money! Great for people with allergies or fragrance sensitivity. This lasts a long time!
1 bar bath soap
1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda laundry detergent (not baking soda)
1/2 cup borax
hot water
80 loads (aprox.)
1. Place grated soap in a pot.
2. Cover with water and simmer over medium heat until all soap is melted, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour into 5 gallon bucket.
4. Add washing soda and borax.
5. Add enough hot water to fill the bucket.
6. Stir (I use a long measuring stick, but any long stick will work).
7. Let sit overnight to gel.
8. Use 1 cup per load.
9. (You can pour this into old detergent containers or leave in the bucket. Please cover with a lid if leaving in the bucket to protect children and pets.).
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Brenda Arce said...

I couldn't get the text to align left?!

Bonnie said...

This sounds great! I have allergies and am also sensitive to fragraces also! What is borax? Is the bar of soap you use either "Ivory" or "Tone"? Thanks for posting!!! I'm going to try it sometime.

Brenda Arce said...

You can use any kind of soap that you prefer. I used lever-a friend just made it and used Ivory. Borax is a natural laundry booster and multi-purpose cleaner. You'll find borax and the washing soda in the laundry product isle. I did have to go to 2 stores before finding the washing soda-our Wal-mart didn't have it.

The DeLormes said...

That's neat, Brenda! We'll have to try it.

Cyndi