Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Pop-pops Heroism

http://www.plumsystems.com/db/chf/plum_press.asp?id=37243
Ok, I think I did this correctly. The link above is the link for the Carnegie Hero Fund Commission. I did a search for Pop-pop since he was awarded the Carnegie medal of Honor for his bravery and heroism in rescuing several people from his burning boat. This is what they have listed for him. It was very interesting and I was very proud of Pop-pop! Obviously God gave him the strength to accomplish what he bravely did that night. I knew this story, as I have a copy of the article in the Atlantic City Press, but it was neat to read the lengths to which he went to save those people. What a hero!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow, Brenda! Thanks for sharing that!!!! Once i get my home computer fixed, I'll be printing it out as well! That is something to be proud of for sure! I know dad will love to read that too when he gets back. Thanks for posting it.

Brenda Arce said...

This is definitely one story we should continue to pass down through the generations. This is not unlike stories in the bible, where God gave people the strength to do the impossible. This was an impossible feat for a person to accomplish without God. The article that I have said that he displayed super-human strength as he swam the boat to shore...the boat weighed 4 tons! Wow!

Barbara said...

That was really great, Brenda. I printed it out, too and also the link to what the medal looked like...since we don't have it any more to actually see it. What it said about the medal was also interesting! love, Aunt Barb